domingo, 4 de octubre de 2015

Exploring my teaching beliefs

Language learning

Language learning for me is the acquisition, retention, adaptation of new structures into our cognitive system. As a result, that acquired knowledge, should help the individual to be part of a society. However to talk about language learning is important to bear in mind the learner context. For example in our country, in relation to the English language learning, it is not common to find many resources that can help us with the development of this language and also the lack of contact with this language can produce different feeling on the learners “The first participant arrived and he expressed that he was feeling afraid because it was a long time since he, an arts teacher had had contact with the English language”(journal  entry 1)
However, the motivation to learn, help people to rapidly be involved in the learning process. “Even the participants had not had contact with the English language; they were able to recall previous knowledge and they reported in Spanish what they had understood from the explanation” (Journal entry 1). In this sense, their native language will help also as a tool to demonstrate their knowledge and the abilities they can develop during the learning process.
“Was interesting to see, how the participants felt confident after some minutes talking with Garvin (native English speaker) and the teacher”. (Journal entry 2) It is fundamental to enhance learners’ confidence to interact with others. This is a way of improving their communicational skills and in this sense, learners will me more aware of their learning process.
One amazing fact form the language learning process, is the ability most of the learners have to develop strategies in order to enrich their acquisition process, It was interesting to see how the learning strategies of the participants increased from one class to another, some of them started associating pictures with words, others prefer the use of dictionaries, and also peer correction is one of the most used by them”. (Journal entry 3)
To sum up, the definition nowadays I have of the language learning process is a compilation of different experiences that I have had in the interaction with hundreds of students that have enrich my point of view of this amazing process. First I was able to understand that this process do not involve just the role of the teacher in the exchange of knowledge, instead there are many factors such as the context, the exposure to the language, the importance of building confidence in the learners, the use of learning strategies and many more that can enrich the learning process. Teachers’ role in this process is important but not fundamental; learners’ potential and initiative is the engine that moves the language learning.

Teaching language

The idea of teaching a language for me involves different aspects. First of all it is usual to think about teaching as the process of transmitting knowledge into the students’ minds. However “I have realized that teaching is an art. It is a process that involves experience, passion, love, and also patience” (personal metaphor). T
The objective of the language teacher is to guide the learner, to provide settings for language learning, “In this sense a teacher for me is not the one who takes "knowledge" from a book. As an artist, I have to take into account what I have to face every day, what my students expect and what I feel can help my  students to improve”(personal metaphor). Taking into account students need, desires, wants and expectations give the teacher the possibility to enrich the process of teaching a language “Then after taking into account some suggestions that the same participants asked us after the first session, we decided to involve the students in the development of the class”.  (Journal entry 3). In other word, enrolling the learners in the process is enriching for both, the teacher and the learners, and beautiful result can be extracted from there.
This thought resembles the most suitable panorama for a teacher, however, in the teaching process not all is as easy as it seems to be. “The same happens in a classroom, when we show the learners all that we have prepared for them, they can learn more, and they are able to question the world. Some others, simply do not enjoy the lesson, or misunderstand the meaning of the class”.(personal metaphor). The solution to face those kinds of difficulties is to reflect upon what I am doing, and to start asking questions such as what is right or wrong in my teaching role. “The reflection upon my teaching practice, has helped me a lot, in order to change or redirect my role, my activities and also it has helped me to shape my strengths and overcome my weaknesses” (autobiography)
At the end of the process of reflecting, you can solve many doubts and clarify aspects of your teaching role. The reward of this beautiful profession is to listen words such “if my English teacher had used strategies like this I would have learned English easily”.  (Journal entry 3)
In this sense, and to sum up my beliefs upon language teaching I can say that “Now I understand that being a teacher goes beyond merely theory, being a teacher involvers students likes, dislikes, desires, strengths and weaknesses. It also implies time, patience, effort, and passion”. (Autobiography)

Thanks to my father’s advice “Why do not you try to become a teacher that is a wonderful profession” (autobiography), now I realize the importance of being a language teacher. Also, my four years of experience have shaped my role in the language classroom. Even all the difficulties or constrains that we can face in our daily life; a teacher is always willing to help and guide learners through this wonderful experience of learning a language. Teachers should reflect upon their practices, in this sense new ways of teaching, new approaches, new strategies will arise to magnify the amazing role of being a teacher.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario